Thread: Which Tire

2015 Chief of Novice miatacrosser's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steven Bradford

Question Which Tire

BFG, Hankook, or Nexen. Tire Rack says the new gen BFG wins in the dry but between the four(Bridgestone is also included but they don't make the size I'm looking at) so I am curious from those of you that have run on BFG or the new Nexen which one you prefer. I noticed that a few people ran the Nexen at Nationals and some actually did pretty good(Bryan) so I am wondering how good are they.
    Steven Bradford
    1991 Miata STS #15

"What's-a behind me is not important. "-The first rule of Italian driving.

Avatar photo courtesy of Ric Quinonez

Real Name
    Reace Fisher

Hey Steve,

This has been a much debated topic on the Facebook page. From the nationals results it looks like the lighter cars like the rival s. However, on the Fresno site, I think the nexen is hard to beat. It heats up quick, has great handling characteristics, and seems to grip like crazy. They do wear pretty fast and with Tyler and I railing the BRZ, I doubt they will last more than 10 events. So for the miata with a thousand pounds less and 1 driver you could get 3 years possibly.

Lastly, the RE-71r is still a top tire, it just depends on the driver feel. They are however, easier to get locally with many shops now able to order them. (costco, sams club, Americas tire, ect.)

I hope this helps.

Real Name
    Jimmy Au-Yeung

I've tried 3 of the current gen top street tires on the Evo (Bridgestone RE71R, BFG Rival S, and Nexen SUR4G), the Nexen is my personal favorite for my car (factoring in driving style and car setup) because it feels pretty crisp (close to how an RE71R feels) but has very progressive breakaway characteristics and isn't peaky at the limit - AKA it's very forgiving and encourages you to drive it hard, pretty similar to the Rival S. However, they do seem to wear a little faster than the other 2 tires, in my experience. No idea on the RS4, but I hear it's pretty close, if not on par, with the other tires but has the benefit of being cheaper and longer lasting.
    Jimmy Au-Yeung
    Member #437716
    STU #124
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX SE
    Avatar photo taken by Perry Bennett

Real Name
    Logan Culpepper

I've put some decent mileage on my Nexens. We've got some pretty windy roads and they hug the blacktop like a dream.
    "I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen

Pro Mileage Tracking is my life.

2015 Chief of Novice miatacrosser's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steven Bradford

Thanks to everyone that replied.

I decided to go with the BFGs and from what I experienced with them at Crows last weekend I feel they'll be fine once I get some runs on them. I didn't go with the Nexens because of what the tire rack had to say about them which is the opposite of what a few of you say. I hope the BFGs like the fairgrounds as much as they liked Crows. We'll see Saturday. See you all this weekend.
    Steven Bradford
    1991 Miata STS #15

"What's-a behind me is not important. "-The first rule of Italian driving.

Avatar photo courtesy of Ric Quinonez

Real Name
    Justin Tang

Hoosier
    Justin Tang
    #86 FSP

photo courtesy of Bryan H.