Thread: Events 3 & 4 Thanks! How was the 2-run group format?

Real Name
    Kurt Wong

Default Events 3 & 4 Thanks! How was the 2-run group format?

I'd first like to thank Ric Quinonez aka "Cuz" for chairing his second event of the year. Just shows his dedication to the sport. You rarely hear from this guy but he does so much for this club!

Also I'd like to thank to Gary Lieb for bringing us the trailer out as well and his son Danny for helping him. Paul deserves the up most respect for delivering us the results and making sure the timing is operating correctly even during his own runs! I'd also like to thank Ryan Gutile for helping us on the course setup on Friday, as well as the constant entertainment during and post event shenanigans. We also can't forget Leon! This guy goes everywhere and helps our club all the time. I see him at all the northern California events. This goes to show there are no excuses for those saying these other sites are too far to drive to just to autocross. Be well aware that Fresno Fairgrounds and any other autocross site around us won't be around us forever and we should always try to attend as many various sites as we can to help the sport stay alive!

I want to also thank everyone who could attend, stay for fun runs and help with the post event clean up. Without you these events will be never happen. I can't say it enough, but our sport relies on volunteers.

Now that we got the thank you's done I want to hear what everyone thought about the new format? Pros and Cons? Did you like the laid back manner of the fun runs? Clearly defined course vs. confusing complicating course? Your opinion matters, but lets keep it clean and simple .
    Kurt
    1990 Classic Red Miata (STR/Track)
    2007 Stormy Blue Mica RX8 (STX)
    2013 Asphalt FRS (C-Street - Thanks Kat!)
    Photos
    "pitbowl" (GT5)

Real Name
    Gary McDaniel

For our size of participation, I think this is going to work out well. Mr. Obvious says "be sure everyone is teched and all reg' cards are in so run groups can be more evenly balanced".

GaryMc
    #49 SSP
    Short list;
    01 Corvette Z06
    04 Subaru STi
    05 BMW 330ci
    SCCA #261187

Real Name
    Larry Kirlin

Default Events 3 & 4 Thanks! How was the 2-run group format?

The format was WAY better. I only attended Event 4 so I can't comment on Event 3. On Sunday everyone was able to get in five runs in the morning plus five fun runs in the afternoon. I'm all about time on the course and this format doubled what I normally would expect AND we were all cleaned up and ready to go home by 2:30. I still think there is room for improvement but considering we are all volunteers we can't expect perfection. Good job to all of the coordinators and stewards. Thank you for creating this opportunity for us so close to home.

Real Name
    Kurt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by lakirlin@yahoo.com View Post
    The format was WAY better. I only attended Event 4 so I can't comment on Event 3. On Sunday everyone was able to get in five runs in the morning plus five fun runs in the afternoon. I'm all about time on the course and this format doubled what I normally would expect AND we were all cleaned up and ready to go home by 2:30. I still think there is room for improvement but considering we are all volunteers we can't expect perfection. Good job to all of the coordinators and stewards. Thank you for creating this opportunity for us so close to home.
    Thanks for the kind comments. Please let us know on what can be improved on that way it can be discussed here and also be forwarded to our monthly meetings.

My own comments on this is that timing, registration and quicker event start ups will only get better with time, but only with additional volunteers. If you are free from setting up your car during the morning don't be shy and ask for what can be done. Simple things such as helping pass waiver sign in sheet around helps a bunch to asking the chief of tech for help teching cars. The biggest help as an event chair is for all to stay patient through these tough times as it truly is a volunteer based system.
    Kurt
    1990 Classic Red Miata (STR/Track)
    2007 Stormy Blue Mica RX8 (STX)
    2013 Asphalt FRS (C-Street - Thanks Kat!)
    Photos
    "pitbowl" (GT5)

Real Name
    Justin Tang

Thanks for everyone who made Event 3&4 possible, especially Ric and Kurt. It was a very fun weekend!

I think the new format works really well and was generally well executed.

My minor feedback would be: does it make sense to tech cars between the 1st and 2nd groups? I feel like it might work a little better if all the cars went through tech prior to group 1 starting, which give some time for class re-balancing to happen and make the worker/driver switch-over between group 1 and group 2 faster. I know the grid area is probably not large enough to hold both group 1 and group 2 for tech, so my suggestion would be to have group 1 tech on grid as usual, and have group 2 tech somewhere else (there was a lot of un-used space past the grid area, sort of by Sunday's start area). After cars have been teched, cards obtained by the trailer, group 2 can pull off, drivers meeting can commence, and class re-balancing can happen if needed.

On the east coast, a lot of clubs also had a rolling tech setup, where cars would pull up for tech then go back to their parking area, keeping the grid clear of parked cars. Once all cars have been teched and we were ready to run, the appropriate group would then grid (i.e. when workers are going out to their stations, group 1 would pull up to grid).

And a question for the event chairs: did you guys have adequate help in packing up the trailer? I might have missed it, but I think at the fun run driver's meeting, I don't recall you guys asking for people to stick around and help with trailer packing. Might be a point to highlight as we enter the blazing hot summer months!
    Last edited by Justin; 04-27-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    Justin Tang
    #86 FSP

photo courtesy of Bryan H.

Real Name
    Jimmy Au-Yeung

Bump! Please let us know your thoughts on how this went before our next meeting!
    Jimmy Au-Yeung
    Member #437716
    STU #124
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX SE
    Avatar photo taken by Perry Bennett