Thread: From a Barn Find to a European Rally Car

Real Name
    steve carlson

Default From a Barn Find to a European Rally Car

We all dream about stumbling across a legendary barn find, such as a long lost Cobra or E type Jaguar sitting in the corner of a barn. Who knows how they get there….. perhaps forgotten by someone’s grandfather and ignored by the surviving relatives.

Here’s a true story about a “barn find” 240-Z, certainly not as valuable as a Cobra or Jag, but within the limits of my bank account. In 1985, the 71 Z was sold to a farmer’s favorite nephew for $1 after it developed clutch problems at 81,000 miles. Since the nephew didn’t need a car at that time, it went into the barn, where it remained for the next 31 years. In 2016, the farmers widow decided to sell the farm and needed everything off the property. The Z was going to be evicted from the relative safety of the barn. The nephew placed an ad on Craigslist and was overwhelmed with the response. I happened to be the first to see the car. After years of racing and rebuilding Z cars, I could see beyond the decades of neglect and pigeon droppings to the straight body panels and lack of cancerous rust. Although the price was higher than I had ever paid for a car that was not running, I immediately bought it.

With the help of the nephew, we pushed it onto my trailer for the trip home. I figured pushing it off the trailer into my garage would be a simple process, with a little help from gravity. I misjudged gravity and now have a hole in my fence and a small dent in an otherwise perfect rear bumper on the Z.

I also misjudged my recovery from cancer. Although the Z is cancer free, I was not. So the plan for a rebuild came to a screeching halt and the Z went up for sale again. I placed an ad in Datsun Classifieds, which caught the attention of a gentleman from the Netherlands, who happened to be looking for a rust free Z to prepare as a group 4 rally car. I’ve seen photos reflecting the level of preparation the new owner plans for the car. The Z will soon be refurbished to better than new condition in preparation for the adventure of European rally’s. From a barn in Atwater California, to the back roads of Europe, it’s been quite a ride for this Z.

Steve C

Real Name
    Ron Branam

Thanks for sharing that story, Steve. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    CS MX-5; New Blue. 22
    SCCA # 272894
    Licenses:
    Crew
    Div F & C
    SSS
    Member San Francisco Region Flagging & Communications

Real Name
    Jimmy Au-Yeung

Good to see that it's going to driven hard in it's new home! Also, +1 to a speedy recovery
    Last edited by Jim3142; 02-26-2017 at 09:54 AM.
    Jimmy Au-Yeung
    Member #437716
    STU #124
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX SE
    Avatar photo taken by Perry Bennett

Real Name
    steve carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3142 View Post
    Good to see that it's going to driven hard in it's new home! Also, +1 to a speedy recovery
    Here's a link to the type of European Rally's this guys does.....

http://heroevents.eu/event-type/lond...isbon-classic/

My wife and I are planning to do this in a couple years! What a great way to see Europe and get to know car people there!

Steve

Real Name
    Domsanracing

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Here's a link to the type of European Rally's this guys does.....

http://heroevents.eu/event-type/lond...isbon-classic/

My wife and I are planning to do this in a couple years! What a great way to see Europe and get to know car people there!

Steve
    Waw steve, indeed what a great way to do that!! How long do you think it would take? Are you thinkg in month or weeks?
    Let us know once you do it, and send us some pictures then
    I always like to find good bargain with cheap deals - Racing 4ever

Real Name
    steve carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Domsanracing View Post
    Waw steve, indeed what a great way to do that!! How long do you think it would take? Are you thinkg in month or weeks?
    Let us know once you do it, and send us some pictures then
    Each rally is set up for a specific amount of time. The one that has caught our interest is from London to Lisbon and takes four days.

The drive is through England, France, Spain and Portugal.

They set up a place to stay for all the rally participants, with dinners (and I assume) a little party each night.

They also provide a support crew in case any participants have mechanical problems along the way. They want everyone to finish.

The last night is the awards banquet. The cars are all vintage (30's to 70's) so they attract lots of attention, some of the small towns even

shut down to "greet" the rally cars.