Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a new autocross site

Real Name
    steve carlson

Default Found a new autocross site

While on my way home from the Buttonwillow kart track today - I went through Shafter and past the Shafter Airport (just West of 99).

I used to attend events at the Shafter Airport with the Bakersfield Sports Car Club (25 years ago?).

I was amazed to see an autocross in progress at the airport - so I stopped and talked with the guy in charge.

PCA puts on events there a couple times a year - but they've been struggling to get enough people to attend.

To the point that they wonder if it's worth doing. Todays event only had 10 PCA members and 5 nonmembers (not Porsches).

Check out their website through Motorsport Reg. and you can see they have numerous makes attending their events.

Long story short....... they're interesting in doing some events with us.

I have the guys name and number. I'll bring it up at the next meeting I can attend.

Check out the location on google maps. They use a pretty large area that consists of a triangle formed by a runway and taxiways.

The down side is the distance (about 75 miles). It's a little further than Atwater - but at least we'll get into third gear!

Steve

Real Name
    Jimmy Au-Yeung

Great news Steve! Let me know if you can make it to this month's meeting as it gets closer, if not, you can PM me the details if you want.
    Jimmy Au-Yeung
    Member #437716
    STU #124
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX SE
    Avatar photo taken by Perry Bennett

Real Name
    Jimmy Au-Yeung

Found this on Youtube:

Site looks very promising
    Jimmy Au-Yeung
    Member #437716
    STU #124

2015 Chief of Technical Inspection 2006GTO's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jim Clenney

Looks good to me. Thanks Steve for always being on the look out!! Book it!!!
    2014 Mitsubishi Evolution X #76 STU, member #434973

Real Name
    Gary McDaniel

Just did a google map and got 143mi and 2hr 15min from me.

GaryMc
    #49 SSP
    Short list;
    01 Corvette Z06
    04 Subaru STi
    05 BMW 330ci
    SCCA #261187

Real Name
    steve carlson

Quote Originally Posted by 2006GTO View Post
    Looks good to me. Thanks Steve for always being on the look out!! Book it!!!
    I just got off the phone with Charles Rook (my primary contact with PCA). He's willing to help guide us through the process of booking our own event at the Shafter Airport. He's a pilot and leases space there. We will need to attend the next airport board meeting on Dec. 14th (not certain on the date).

It will likely cost $2,500 for a one day event.

Take a look at the you tube video to get an idea of the size of the course. It's huge and obviously 3rd gear or higher. You'll also notice that the course is not lined, cones are not outlined(?) and I don't see ANY course workers. The local PCA events are VERY laid back.

PCA is interested in attending our event rather than serving as a co-sponsor.

Charles suggests we start small (local event rather than regional). But the location would certainly attract cars from Northern AND Southern CA. So it has tremendous potential.

If the club is interested, I'll continue working with Charles and attend the Shafter Airport board meeting in December. We'll try to set something up for next season.

Charles is going to follow up with a detailed e-mail on what we'll need for the board meeting. More info to follow.

Steve

Real Name
    Jimmy Au-Yeung

Yeah, at $2500 for a day we would need a large amount of entries, possibly with a slight increase in entry fee. Still, seems like another option

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I just got off the phone with Charles Rook (my primary contact with PCA). He's willing to help guide us through the process of booking our own event at the Shafter Airport. He's a pilot and leases space there. We will need to attend the next airport board meeting on Dec. 14th (not certain on the date).

It will likely cost $2,500 for a one day event.

Take a look at the you tube video to get an idea of the size of the course. It's huge and obviously 3rd gear or higher. You'll also notice that the course is not lined, cones are not outlined(?) and I don't see ANY course workers. The local PCA events are VERY laid back.

PCA is interested in attending our event rather than serving as a co-sponsor.

Charles suggests we start small (local event rather than regional). But the location would certainly attract cars from Northern AND Southern CA. So it has tremendous potential.

If the club is interested, I'll continue working with Charles and attend the Shafter Airport board meeting in December. We'll try to set something up for next season.

Charles is going to follow up with a detailed e-mail on what we'll need for the board meeting. More info to follow.

Steve
    Jimmy Au-Yeung
    Member #437716
    STU #124

Real Name
    Paul Tibbals

Hi Jimmy,
    SFR was paying, IIRC, $2500 for the Candlestick Park lot per event (up until about 2008 or 2009). This was the most $$ of any site that we were using at the time, and we had problems coming out ahead. Also because the lot was so bumpy, due to settling of the landfill, most of the Prepared, Mod, and some Street Prepared's would decline to run there. That kept our attendance and income down obviously. I seem to remember having in the 100-150 attendees range. We quit using it after that, as the price went up again the following year.
    Paul T
    p.s. When I went to Cal Poly SCC autocross events, before the club closed down due to lack of venues, they did one or two by renting the East loop at Buttonwillow, and putting in a cone chicane on the fastest portions to hold the speeds down. I don't know if that is still an option. I've never posted here before so don't know the history, but if you're going to Shafter your travel time is about the same as BW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3142 View Post
    Yeah, at $2500 for a day we would need a large amount of entries, possibly with a slight increase in entry fee. Still, seems like another option

Real Name
    Gary McDaniel

Checking the Buttonwillow website, partial track rental rates are listed at $675 for sections like the East loop and mid week. They do not show weekend partial rate so possibly contacting them directly would be beneficial. I agree with Paul, at that distance, something at B'willow might be preferred.

GaryMc
    #49 SSP
    Short list;
    01 Corvette Z06
    04 Subaru STi
    05 BMW 330ci
    SCCA #261187

Real Name
    steve carlson

Quote Originally Posted by solo2_z06 View Post
    Checking the Buttonwillow website, partial track rental rates are listed at $675 for sections like the East loop and mid week. They do not show weekend partial rate so possibly contacting them directly would be beneficial. I agree with Paul, at that distance, something at B'willow might be preferred.
    I agree! Although it would limit variation in course design it sure would make set up and take down easy!

It would also allow anyone setting up their car a consistent course to measure improvement.

I wonder about availability..... Are they booked most weekends?

Steve