Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula E

Real Name
    Ric Quinonez

Default Formula E

So what are your thoughts - bright or dim future?
    "It you don't come walking back to the pits once in a while holding a steering wheel in your hands, you're not trying hard enough." - Mario Andretti

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

Real Name
    Ron Branam

Dim. Unless they find some way to add internal combustion engine sounds.
    CS MX-5; New Blue. 22
    SCCA # 272894
    Licenses:
    Crew
    Div F & C
    SSS
    Member San Francisco Region Flagging & Communications

Real Name
    Jim Tikijian

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post
    Dim. Unless they find some way to add internal combustion engine sounds.
    Bright. There are race tires, adjustments, adrenalin, and speed.

Real Name
    Ron Branam

Quote Originally Posted by papatik View Post
    Bright. There are race tires, adjustments, adrenalin, and speed.
    Well said, Jim. We have difference of opinion. Let's agree to disagree.

By the way; What say you Ric?
    CS MX-5; New Blue. 22
    SCCA # 272894
    Licenses:
    Crew
    Div F & C
    SSS
    Member San Francisco Region Flagging & Communications

Real Name
    Ron Craven

Jimmy, I agree with Ron. I'd like a little engine noise.

Yes Ric how about you chiming in.

Real Name
    James Carothers

I agree with Ron. The only noises you hear are occasional tire squeal and a horrid continuous screech from the electric motors. Overall they've got good drivers, good cars, and good teams. But unless they get some real range out of those stupid batteries it won't catch on. Racing is expensive to begin with, but when you need 2 cars per driver to compete in one 25 lap race on a circuit that's just over 2 miles, the costs are obviously far too high. It's only worsened by the fact that they're managing power usage as early as the sighting lap. It is a good idea, but a bit too early for where the level of technology is.
    James Carothers
    SCCA# 470257
    2001 Honda S2000
    #14STR

Real Name
    Ric Quinonez

I kinda agree with James, We're still early with the technology. Remember, even the longest
    journey begins with one step. (I got that from one of Kurts' Uncles) I think a series like this
    will accelerate the progress of the technology. I watched the 1st race from China and I thought
    passing was difficult. The cars didn't seem to have a lot of downforce. The tires looked to be
    Michelin Pilot Sport street tires. I also believe the race events all take in one day. It will be
    interesting how the promoters will recoup their investment. I am looking forward to the
    Long Beach race just to be a part of history.
    "It you don't come walking back to the pits once in a while holding a steering wheel in your hands, you're not trying hard enough." - Mario Andretti

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

Real Name
    Steven Bradford

Personally, I don't like it but, It's the future so I say if they do it they should amplify the motor(not an engine)sounds. Electric motors sound pretty cool at high rpm but are to quiet to be heard from the stands. People are looking for a visceral experience as much as viewing one so why not give them some loud electric motor sounds. Other than that performance should be off the charts in the acceleration department.
    Steven Bradford
    1991 Miata STS #15

"What's-a behind me is not important. "-The first rule of Italian driving.

Avatar photo courtesy of Ric Quinonez

Real Name
    James Carothers

I'm curious about something regarding Formula E... Anybody happen to have any idea in what is restricted? On paper it seems like a bit of a spec series, but if there are no(or very few) limitations on the cars, maybe this series would have a chance.
    James Carothers
    SCCA# 470257
    2001 Honda S2000
    #14STR

Real Name
    Ric Quinonez

This is very much a spec series and looks to have a very strict build process.
    The link is to the car specs.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/guide/car.aspx?page=1334